Shifting Baselines and the Future of Global Fisheries
Daniel Pauly, Jennifer Jacquet
- Expert analysis of one of this major global issues
- Author coined term "shifting baselines" – used in fisheries management.
- According to UN Report (2010): 28% of commercial fish stocks + 68% of "straddling" (or migratory) stocks are overexploited or depleted.
- The same report found 2.9 billion people depend on fish for animal protein intake.
- And that fisheries exports worldwide grew by 104% from 1986-2006.